Sunday, April 05, 2009

Time doesn't stand still...

Work has been really busy the last few weeks. I think I need to plan some vacation! I have been spending far too many hours in the office, and thinking about work outside of the office. Sadly, it has even been invading some of my dreams. You know it's bad when you start dreaming about work.

Yesterday, Fent and I went to the Shell Houston Open. We got free tickets and thought we might as well check out a PGA tournament since we had the chance. We arrived around 10 o'clock, which was early enough that the crowds weren't too big yet and just in time to catch the last few minutes of breakfast.

Breakfast was not very good. Specifically, it consisted of cold foods that should have been served hot. But it was free, so I will limit my complaints.

We strolled around the course for a couple hours, visiting the holes in no particular order. We stayed at certain holes to watch a few groups pass, then we would follow a player for a few more. We saw some big names, like Greg Norman and Phil Mickelson, as well as a lot of people who I'd never heard of (which isn't saying much, since I am not an avid golf fan or anything like that). When the golf and the scenery weren't as interesting, we decided it was time to check out lunch.

Breakfast should have been an indication on what to expect for lunch, but I had high hopes. There was a buffet with hamburgers, hot dogs, "chicken marsala", cheese tortellini, green beans & baby carrots, and fingerling potatoes. Before I continue, I will say that it sounds a lot better than it was. The alleged chicken marsala was not even edible (Fent tried to take a bite, but it was very very dry and he could barely cut through it with a knife). The potatoes were the most edible, but that's the only compliment I can provide. There were also some fresh blueberries, which seemed a little random, but I took advantage of the situation to load up on antioxidants.

Afterward, we grabbed "frozen dessert" bars and headed back to the 18th hole to watch a few more rounds of players pass by. The fudgesicle stick wasn't very good, and after reading the ingredients in the label, I was turned off completely and chucked it out. The excitement of golf was also wearing off, so we decided to call it quits.

Overall, it was an enjoyable day. The weather was great and the golf was an interesting experience.


p.s. Apologies for lack of photos. Cameras and mobile phones were banned for the course. =/

No comments: