Monday, May 04, 2009

Weekend Summary

I just joined a bookclub. A couple of friends were already members, and graciously extended the invitation for me to join. Sunday evening was my first "meeting", so I spent a good chunk of Saturday reading the book Never Let Me Go and a good chunk of Sunday baking cupcakes for the gathering.

If not for reading it with a book club, I don't think I would have finished the book. The writing style was good, but I thought the story development was poor. And the characters were annoying. Oddly enough, the book probably would have been a lot better with a couple hundred additional pages. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I felt like the author wanted to go sci-fi, but decided that he was too lazy to do the research or put the extra effort towards that aspect of writing, so just called it quits and alluded to the more "technical" aspects of the story. It's a shame, because the story sounds like it should be interesting.

The cupcakes, on the other hand, were most excellent. =)

No comments: